Today the agricultural companies have worked towards implementing new technologies in their production processes. After all, it has been shown in other industries that technological advances are highly positive. Even so, there are companies that have stood out more than others.
Aunque no lo creas, la tecnología en sus distintas presentaciones tiene muchas aplicaciones hacia el trabajo agrícola. Se ha demostrado especialmente con la artificial intelligence and the use of SAP. Even the blockchain has managed to interfere in the agricultural field.
Do you know how agriculture has been associated with technology in recent years? Today I will tell you about some of the agricultural companies that have managed to implement technology to their processes. Also with some details of the news that surrounds the main driving countries of agricultural technology.
What agricultural companies have implemented technology?
The best way to understand how agricultural companies have joined the technological revolution is with concrete examples. Throughout the world, there have been cases in which it can be seen how there are new systems that facilitate the work of agriculture.
New technological movements have emerged around agriculture. Such is the case of Agro 4.0 and the precision farming. These have been represented by various companies around the world. Below we will show you some cases that are worth highlighting.
One of the companies that has stood out in the field of agriculture 4.0 is Smart Agro. The implementation of digitization processes for agricultural work. The company has been very energetic in implementing new services such as:
- Analysis of weather conditions and its influence on the agricultural process. In this way it is possible to make better decisions regarding the increase in productivity.
- Monitoring of the environmental context which affects both plants and animals. What is sought is that both the harvests and the aging are carried out under the best health conditions.
- real-time display of the events of any agricultural establishment. This includes recordings of days past to learn more about what happened.
Hortisys is not a company, but one of the technological solutions implemented by Hispatec. This system is born from the concern that this company generates about the state of the plants.
Hortisys is a system made up of 3 subunits which work together. These are responsible for collecting information on crops through agronomic variables. The subsystems are the following:
- Unit of sensors associated with plants and external components such as soil. This is the system that collects data such as irrigation, radiation and terrestrial nutrients.
- The cloud acts as the second phase of the Hortisys process. Thanks to cloud technology you can include real time information how climate in the growing area. This, regardless of whether it is an indoor greenhouse.
- As for the third system, it is a DSS, software that integrates information to take decisions. It is the typical system that converts isolated data into useful information for the agronomist.
Hortisys argues that data is the key to improving production. For this reason, Hispatec's commitment to precision agriculture is so notorious. This company works towards saving resources and eliminating uncertainty for agricultural companies.
Finally, it is worth talking about the artificial intelligence y específicamente de Machine Learning. Ese proceso propio del aprendizaje de las máquinas que ha sido impulsado por S4 en el sector agrícola. La creación de S4Go en collaboration with IBM is a clear sign of success for this startup.
This system has been designed for the geographical indexing of crops based on data originating from NASA satellites. Through data such as location, climate risk and technical data of the plants, the first index to avoid waste was created.
This has been possible thanks to the tools of Machine Learning own of Microsoft Azure. Así, se han creado nuevos algoritmos para el reconocimiento de las plantas y los riesgos que puedan presentarse.
Powers add to agricultural technology
It is clear that the agricultural companies they continue to receive support from projects such as the ones we have mentioned. However, what are the governments of the world doing for this? Is it not in the global interest to optimize the processes associated with food production?
The United States and China are currently the great world powers. That is why the decisions made by the political leadership of these countries weigh heavily on the use of agricultural technology:
- recently from the COP27 the president biden ratified its support for agricultural innovation for the climate. This is related to smart agriculture in connection with climate change. The initiative has brought together more than 275 countries and a initial investment of 4 billion dollars.
- Secretary of Agriculture in 2020, Sonny Perdue, gave rise to the agricultural innovation agenda. Among its multiple purposes is working with scientific institutes for the implementation of new agricultural technologies.
- In China, there has been a tremendous growth in the digital economy that has had an impact on agricultural companies. It is enough to consider that in February of this year it was calculated that more than 50% of digitalized industrial processes were present. Both the artificial intelligence As the IoT have said present in the agricultural process.
- Since 2016, the modernization of agriculture has been discussed in China. Already for 2020 have been established agricultural research alliances among some institutions. Such is the case of Peking University and the Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
The world powers have the modernization of agriculture on their agendas. Whether with internal policies or international events, steps are being taken to reach the same goal. To improve the outlook for agricultural companies of the world.
How are Chilean agricultural companies regarding innovation?
Chile is also experiencing an environment of growing interest in agricultural innovation. This has been demonstrated in the large number of interesting proposals that have emerged from small and medium-sized companies:
- Cogrowers, a company dedicated to the study and monitoring of frost. In this way, it allows companies to manage their orchards to avoid the harmful effects of these.
- Arcom focuses on small businesses and the problems they have in health assessment. Thanks to the invention of a module that fulfills this task, it allows smaller producers to guarantee safety.
- Glotic is a robotics project to create a self-contained sprinkler unit. Basically it is a robot that is responsible for properly impregnating each plant with the substances it requires. This includes fertilizers and phytosanitary products.
- Zurex-Fire It is an immediate response fire fighting system. It only takes 15 seconds to attack any fire signal and thus avoid catastrophic accidents. In addition, it has a range of 2 kilometers away for action.
And to think that there are still more Chilean projects focused on agricultural companies. Not only that, but innovation in this sector does not discriminate between small and medium-sized companies. Proposals are emerging for all levels and this is something important.
Something worth noting at the close of the national award for AVONNI Innovation 2022 was a true avalanche of good ideas and projects. In my opinion, for agribusiness this winning project stole the film:
Ultrasound to check the quality of the fruit: How to improve the classification of export fruit, analyze its characteristics without damaging the fruit, without taking samples and in the shortest time possible. As explained Rudi Radrigán, director of the Center for Agroindustrial Development of the University of Concepción.
It's hard to think that anyone is being left behind in the technological movement that has engulfed agriculture. However, there are many traditional producers who have found it difficult to adhere to it. Especially small producers who have been in business for many years.
Technology has come to agricultural companies to stay
In Chile, in the United States, in China, all over the world there is a pro-technology environment. The case of agriculture is special, because the benefits are more than notorious. Greater economic performance, release of labor and automation of the entire production process.
Who is losing? The one who has not yet made the decision to be part of this. We are in a world where technological evolution waits for no one. It is a train that large and small producers must board while they have the opportunity. Otherwise they are likely to disappear.
Outstanding technology developer Marc Vidal raised a serious question in one of his lectures: «Are you late to the future?«What do you yourself think of that question?… Are you feeling that this train has already left for you?
Y puede que suene tajante pero la competencia no perdona a quienes no apuestan por la innovación. Si algo está claro es que la industria agrícola como la conocemos desaparecerá muy pronto. ¿Estas preparado para pasar a la acción de verdad?